Celebrate hanami (cherry blossom season) with this delicious fermented cherry blossom cordial you can easily make at home. Use this cordial in cocktails, mocktails, or enjoy it on its own. The flavor is crisp & lightly floral with bitter almond.
- Harvest approximately 2 cups of Japanese cherry blossoms.*
- Shake the blossoms to remove any critters, but DO NOT RINSE. The blossoms contain natural yeast you want to retain for the cordial. Add the blossoms to a 32 oz or larger jar.
- Add 1/2 cup of RAW honey.
- Add 3 1/2 cup of hot water (just off of boil).
- Allow mixture to steep for 10 minutes and then strain out blossoms.
- Allow mixture to cool.
- Add a pinch of activated yeast.
- Loosely cover jar and keep at room temperature for 2-3 days. Stir occasionally. Your cordial is ready when it fizzes slightly when you stir it and a foam appears on top.
- Filter out solids, refrigerate, and enjoy.
*The flowers of Japanese cherry trees are edible. Be sure you are able to identify the tree as a Japanese cherry. Please do not consume wild plants you cannot identify!